Traveling with a dog requires preparations before you hit the road. Traveling with a sick dog (with a persistent illness or motion sickness) can make traveling even more difficult.
You should make the trip as gentle as possible to ensure your dog’s safety and well-being. In the event of a contagious illness, you must also think of the safety of others. Let’s explore steps to take and other strategies that may come up when you travel with a sick dog.
If you must travel, talk to your veterinarian first
Have your veterinarian perform a travel readiness analysis on your dog. Some dogs are happy with a trusted dog sitter or boarding facility, so consider all of your options. It’s hard to be away from a pet, but it may be in their best interest to leave them in good care.
Your veterinary team can let you know if it’s safe for your dog to move around and if any additional medications or warnings are needed for the trip. If your destination is overseas, crosses state lines or expects air travel, your pet will also need a health certificate from your veterinarian.
Top tips for traveling safely with a sick dog
- If you and your veterinarian decide it’s okay for your dog to travel, take the following safety precautions to ensure a satisfying (or at least less painful ) trip.
- Take all medications with you and make sure they are up to date in case you need to refill them during the trip.
- Keep a list (or an app in your phone) for local veterinary clinics that are near where you are staying or along your route.
- Carry a manuscript of your pet’s medical titles.
- Carry a dog first aid kit that will be useful whether your dog is sick or not.
Traveling with dogs is fun, but it can also create chaos if not planned properly. Just as we plan trips with friends, you need to plan one for dogs. Trips are fun when they are planned properly. Also, there are some guidelines that should be followed when traveling with dogs. Most dog parents just love to travel with their dogs. When we go on a trip with our beloved dogs, there are some safety precautions that should be followed. This particular blog will cover the points of traveling safely with your dog.